Sunday, September 16, 2007
18 Miles and Counting
"See, here's the thing..."
I had to do an 18 miler today. Am I tired now? Exhausted is more like it....I am also unable to move at anything above turtle pace. And to top it off, I'm starving. I keep eating but it's like I have a bottomless pit. Of course, when you run off more than your daily caloric intake, I guess that's what you're supposed to feel like.

So now that you know what I feel like after the run, I'm sure you're dying to know what the run was like. Well, I started a little after 7:00 am. The sun wasn't fully up yet so it was nice and cool. That's my favorite time to run...around 7:00 am. It's not too hot yet, but it's a little warmer than 5:30 am, and I can actually see what's ahead of me!

From the beginning of my run until about mile 3, my legs were really tight. But by about mile 3, they were lose and read to run. I took my usual 1 minute walk break every mile and a half. I was pretty good until about mile 10. So I took a half mile walk break. But by mile 13, I had hit a wall. I had run out of things to think about about, run out of things to talk to God about, the sun was starting to get pretty hot, I was getting hungry, and I still had about an hour left to run. I'm still not even sure how I made it the last 5 miles, except that I kept picking new targets to run to, and then praying that I would make it at least that far. :-)

So waht's my running nutrition plan? This morning I had a Luna bar (chai tea flavor this morning but I prefer the oatmeal raisin...need to get some more) before I left. I have been eating a banana too, but I was out. Then I had vanilla flavored GU at miles 6 and 13. In addition, I ate 3 strawberry flavored Clif Shot Blocks, two of which I ate at mile 17 just to keep my mind on something besides the pain! I also went through four 8 oz bottles that are attached to my fuel belt, and another full bottle of water that Keith strategically placed in our "hiding spot" at the park. I think finding a cold bottle of water in the park is the highlight of my runs!

So now what? Well, I still have several long training runs left. Fortunately, only one of them is longer than the 18 miles that I ran today. I'll run 20 in a few weeks, and then start tapering down until marathon day. I'm not looking forward to the 20 miler, but I know that I can do it. It's really just the monotony and loneliness that gets to me. I'm hoping that meeting my virtual team, and running with them will help to ease this on marathon day.

I'm also looking forward to running next Saturday. I'll be running in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. It's only a 5K (a little over 3 miles) so I think that I can pull it off. :-) The race last year was the first true running race that I ever trained for and competed in...now I'm about to run a marathon! Keith and the kids will also be there. They are going to do the 1 mile family walk while I run. I'm excited that they will be there at the end this time since they weren't last year. It will also give us all a little taste of what we're in for in San Francisco.

Anyway, I'm off to finish watching "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives"...I told you I was hungry!


1 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Skier said...

Hi - Lisa here. I am the mentor for the Chicago VTNT group but have looked at your blogs as well! In my humble opinion and you might want to check with Coach Maureen, you are not consuming enough food! Before my 18 miler I have a bowl of cereal, toast and juice. Start taking a a couple of shot blocks at the 4 mark and every 4 miles after that...plus gater ade and water! Please refer to the coaches weekly notes and/or email Maureen! This is supposed to be fun!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer