Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Running and School Just Don't Mix!
"See, here's the thing..."
It's been about 3 weeks since I last posted...so sorry. As you know, we were on vacation for 3 weeks. I returned late Friday night/early Saturday morning, then I went back to school that Monday. If you are in the education business, you will know that the beginning of school is absolute CRAZINESS! Therefore, not much has been done personally here at home in the past week and a half.

Anyway, on to a running update. First of all, you will see a decrease in my mileage. This is for several reasons:
1.) The training mileage set by our coach finally caught up to the long run mileage that we were at. So, I am now following the training schedule designed by my coach.
2.) I was definitely overtraining beforehand. During the summer, I can usually handle this amount of training because I don't have to squeeze other "work stuff" in. But during the school year, I have to watch myself. I also noticed an increase in my performance and a decrease in the amount of exhaustion that I experienced after a long run when I followed the coach's schedule. So...I decreased the number of days that I run from 5 to 4, and also decreased the number of miles that I run on those days. BUT, my long run mileage is gradually increasing.
3.) School has officially begun...for me at least. Therefore, I must choose when I run. I have discovered that I am worthless if I try to train after school. It is still WAY too hot for me to run then, and my legs are pretty much shot by that time anyway. So, I have to get up around 5:30 to get my runs in. It's DARK outside at 5:30 am! Because it's dark, it's also SCARY! With that in mind, my runs have gotten a little shorter so I don't have to stay out quite so long. With all of that being said, I just want to say that running and school just don't mix!

Now, on to the good news about my running. My mileage is now increasing past 10 miles on my long runs and I am handling them really well. I ran 12 miles 2 weeks ago, and 13 on Sunday. I have discovered that I do better when I eat a Luna bar before hand as opposed to a banana, and eat GU at about mile 7. Those two things seem to get me through. Another motivation for 13 miles was my 13th anniversary on the 13th! :-)

Running Update:
Since it's not Sunday, I'll just give you my monthly total and overall total.
Monthly Total: 51.4 miles
Overall Total: 504.3 miles


1 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Happy Anniversary! The 13th of August is my parents' anniversary too!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer