Monday, May 14, 2007
My Honoree
"See, here's the thing..."
I put off my running today until later on tonight. I have found that the hotter it gets, the harder it is for me to run. It's only about 85 degrees right now (which isn't really that hot for us), but I have felt sick every afternoon while running. This doesn't happen on my morning runs - I am assuming because it's a lot cooler. I hate waiting to run - I would much rather get it done and over with. However, if I don't get sick due to the heat, it might be worth it. At least I'll be able to run in the mornings once we get out of school.

On the positive side, waiting to run has allowed me time to dig through my Team in Training packet that I received today in the mail. I got all of the pertinent information plus my honoree. Her name is Shelby and she is only 11 years old - Ty's age. She was diagnosed with Acute Lymphatic Leukemia when she was just four years old (not much younger than Ry). She went through three years of chemotherapy treatments. This included six months of hospital stays, as well as spinal taps and chemo every other month throughout the course of the treatment. The thing that really hits home for me is that Shelby reminds me so much of Ty. I received a photocopied picture of her on the back of a letter from her mom and she resembles Ty. In the picture, her hair is wet so I am assuming that she has just finished swimming - something Ty loves to do. She also has a dog that she "loves to pieces" just like Ty. I think that this is just one more way that God is telling me that this is definitely something that I need to do.

This also makes me more determined than ever to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I cannot imagine being in Shelby's mom's shoes, and would hope that there were others out there who were fighting to help my daughter. If you would like to join me in this fight to help children like Shelby, please make a donation to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society at http://www.active.com/donate/tntvirtual/msides. I know that Shelby and I would greatly appreciate it!


1 Comments:

Blogger cjemom said...

Hi Marti,
Greetings from Omaha, NE!! I just received your email about the Marathon you are running to help in the fight against Leukemia. Jeff and I have a nephew who has recently battled cancer, and we could not think of a better way to Honor him, than by giving to your cause. Our nephew did not battle Leukemia, but Cancer is Cancer and we have to fight against it any way we can. So look for our support check in the mail.
Wishing you the best,
Patty, Jeff, Chrisitan, Jonah, and Emily Roberts.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer