Monday, November 5, 2007
Nice Leisurely Run
"See, here's the thing..."
I haven't run since the marathon....until yesterday when I took my first nice, leisurely run. Really, that's exactly what it was. I only ran 3.5 miles....at a really SLOW pace. I walked when I wanted to walk, ran when I wanted to run, and stopped to smell the roses when I wanted to smell...something other than my stinky, running self. :-) It felt good not to have a set amount of miles that I had to run, or a set pace I had to go. It felt good to run without my huge fuel belt and my watch. It felt good to just turn on my ipod and run....just for me.

I also went to the gym today and actually lifted weights. I have been in an "I hate the gym" phase since about last Christmas. And even though I went to karate and kickboxing, I went through I phase where I just couldn't stomach the thought of going to lift weights, or do any sort of cardio machine. This is also what led me to my lapse in judgement when I decided it would be a great idea to run a marathon. This is also the point where I began running outdoors just to get my workouts in.

Anyway, back to the gym...Mom and I went today. We just did a short circuit....a few leg machines, a few arm machines, some ab work. You know, nothing major. Then I did about 30 minutes on the treadmill. I had forgotten how much different it is to run on the treadmill than it is to run on the street. Major difference! The treadmill is smooshy whereas on the street I get more traction. You can kind of compare this to the difference between training for a fight on your hard dojo floor and actually getting in the ring. The ring is always much smooshier because of the plywood underneath. Just FYI for those of you who have never fought in a ring before. :-)

The other thing that I realized when I ran on the treadmill was how much more relaxed I am on the street. Even though I have to watch out for cars, dogs, other people, and such, I am more relaxed. My body is just more relaxed. I guess because I am not confined to the little space that the treadmill takes up. I also tend to run right up against the bar so it's harder for me to relax my arms like I do when I run outside. Finally, it's usually just me and the road...no one else around to "spy on my stats." I hate that...I wanted to just scream, "You might be faster than me, but I just ran a marathon!!!"

Speaking of my marathon, my body is still trying to heal and adjust to my new (well, actually it's my old routine that I did before I began my marathon training) routine. I have been going to kickboxing on Saturdays again. Sensei thinks it's hilariously funny to give me more leg work or make me do double what everyone else is doing. But I can tell how sluggish they still are...or how much speed and flexibility I have lost during my marathon training. However, the grossest thing that has happened was the "surgery" that I had to perform on my feet during class this week. My blisters started to peel off...YUCK! So, I had to get the scissors and begin to cut the dead skin away so it wouldn't continue to peel. Nasty as it may sound, it was better than letting it peel and then rip skin that wasn't ready to come off yet. It has also been nice to feel soreness in parts of my body that I had forgotten about in recent months.

On to other news....
Ry played in the "Tiger Bowl" yesterday for his flag football league. They lost, but he still played a very good game. He normally plays offense only, but yesterday he had to sub for a few boys that had gotten hurt on defense as well. He did a good job - he actually knew where to go and what to do - which impressed me since he never plays that position. After the game, there was an awards ceremony. Each child on his team received a nice little plaque. Then he got to take a picture with New England Patriot David Thomas (which really isn't quite a big deal considering he's our superintendent's son and all of us have kind of followed him since he was in high school)...but it was a big deal to the kids to get their pic taken with a professional football player.

The other good news that I have to share is that I am going to be an aunt! Finally!!!! Hopefully by this time next year, I'll have TWO babies to spoil! We found out this weekend that my brother and his wife are expecting in early July. My sister is also "expecting from Russia" sometime within the next 12 months. They are in the process of adopting. I am so excited to actually get to shop for baby clothes and "little stuff" again. I can't wait to hold and love and play and spoil my two new babies (Ok, so they aren't MY babies, but it looked weird to say "two new neices/nephews"). My kids are now so much older that I can't remember how sweet babies smell or how infectious their giggles are. I'm looking forward to that...and of course, being able to hand them back to mom or dad when they don't smell so sweet anymore. :-)


1 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Being an aunt is awesome! I have been one since I was 4 years old! I am now a great aunt 3 times! At last, something I did before you!!!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer