Sunday, November 11, 2007
Running, Babies, and Veteran's Day
"See, here's the thing..."
I went for a run this morning. It was foggy. So much so that I could barely see ahead of me. It reminded me of one of my favorite movies. It's a movie that my mom, my sister, my kids, and I like to watch...especially when we're at the beach. It's called The Fog. I'm not talking about the new remake of The Fog that was done recently, but the original version (aren't the originals always better?). Anyway, the fog comes into a town in order to kill all of the settlers in order to get revenge for something that happened decades earlier. The DJ on the radio is the only one that can see it and where it is going until it gets there because she is up in this lighthouse on this mountain. She stays on the radio and gives warnings to the citizens of the town. She keeps saying, "Whatever you do, don't go into the fog." Well, I went into the fog...and I came out alive! :-)

The fog created some pretty high humidity during my run. I was getting pretty wet even though it wasn't raining. The other thing I noticed was that the marathon sucked every bit of running strength that I had left. I felt like I had lead legs today. I kept having to stop and walk - in fact, I walked across every street that I came too. However, when I got home and checked my stats on my iPod, I found that I was right at my normal pace. That was a pleasant surprise.

In other news, I'm so excited for my sister. She had her home study today with the adoption agency. This is one of the last steps before they officially put her on the waiting list for a baby. It also makes me think about just how selfless she is. She is going to make the best mom to a lucky little baby, and if anyone can adopt a child and love it unconditionally, it is Kam. I found a quote by the great Oprah. She says, "Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother." I think that's true. And I think that any child that enters our family is going to be greeted by so much love that it will be overwhelmed.

Since today is Veteran's Day, I also thought that I would write a little about that. I didn't realize that World War I ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. However, it makes me think about all of the soldier's that have paid a price for our country. Peter Marshall, the Chaplain of the US Senate said, "May they remember how bitterly our freedom was won, the down payment that was made for it, the intstallments that have been made since the Republic was born, and the price tha tmust yet be paid for our liberty." I will forever be thankful to the soldiers, God included, who have paid for my freedom.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer