Thursday, November 15, 2007
Major Dilemma
"See, here's the thing..."
I have a major dilemma. OK, so it's not MAJOR...but it is a major decision that I must make. Maybe not important in the grand scheme of things either, but again, a pretty big decision.

Here's my dilemma:
Do I purchase an iPhone or go with a smartphone?

Here's the scoop behind the dilemma:
My plan ends next month...this also means that I am eligible for a new phone. I have been thinking about a smart phone for about the past year, but because I wasn't eligible for an upgrade, I just put it off. A smartphone would be great with my c-tech position, and would also work well with my general lifestyle. There are two smartphones that I would like - both made by Palm. I am a big fan of the Palm OS, thus the preference for a Palm smartphone over a Blackberry. Both of the smartphones that I want are only available through Sprint - my current cell phone provider.

But have you seen the iPhone??? I mean, have you really gone to the store and played with an iPhone? TOO COOL! I was able to play with one at the Apple store in San Francisco and it totally blew me away! If I had had $400 in my pocket at that time (OK, so I had that much with me, but we still had to eat, so I withheld my impulse) I would have forked it over right then and there. The problem? iPhones are only available through Cingular (AT&T). This might not be so bad because everyone that I really talk to on the cell phone is on the Cingular plan anyway. So my free Sprint to Sprint calls really aren't saving me any money at this point.

Ok - so now that you've heard that part of the dilemma, here's the rest. I need a new iPod...I think. While training for my marathon, my iPod kept doing weird things. For example, I would charge it and then it wouldn't turn back off. Or, it would suddenly turn off and then back on - which totally screwed up my mileage on my runs. I kept thinking it was because it was just getting old and overused and prayed that it would last through the marathon without incidence. It did and I was happy. But then, I was reading up on the iPhone and found a little article about iPods freezing and locking, etc. with vigorous excercise. Well, what do you know, since I've quit running quite as much and not so often, my iPod is fine.

So, part of my reasoning for the iPhone was to get a phone and iPod all in one. But, who am I kidding? I am NOT going to strap an iPhone to my arm and take off on a 10 miler. That's just craziness. Not only is it too big, but it's too expensive. So, I thought that maybe I should just get the smartphone and a new iPod Nano. However, if my iPod is now working ok, then I really don't need a new iPod (at least for now) and I could technically get the iPhone because I can still use my old iPod.

Is all of this making sense? I know it's a stupid dilemma to have, but it's my world. :-) So, I need your opinions. iPhone or smartphone?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer